November 29, 2009

An Overlooked Gem


During the winter of 1994, I worked for the now defunct, Block Buster Music Group. Being privy to a lot of promotional CDs, I was fortunate to receive this gem from Nu Soul Habits. Meant To Be, unfortunately is the only album by members, Tonye Hilmon and lead singer, Eddie Towns Jr. For me, this album was a journey back in time. Already accustomed to the great soul sounds of the 60's & 70's, at 23 years old, I was taken to a new high when I pushed this CD into the player of my car. Eddie's voice was so different from any other artist I'd heard. Sort of a nasal crooner, he sailed over tracks to create moments of euphoria during the almost hour long set. There's very little info about the group - definitely candidates for Where Are They Now? or Unsung. Maybe these good memories will conjure them back up again. In the meantime, I'll continue playing their CD. So, here's a treat for the ears, take a listen and judge for yourself.       

Buy it here (the prices are UNBEATABLE)

Nu Soul Habits - I Got The Love

Nu Soul Habits - Meant To Be
blog comments powered by Disqus